Ringtails in the Rafters at El Tovar

Wednesday, April 13, 2011


I spent March at the Grand Canyon and had the fortune to visit El Tovar for dinner one night.  Before going, I asked every server I could find to tell me secrets about El Tovar.  So I discovered two.   1) The builder, Fred Harvey, haunts El Tovar and a few servers have seen him and his "girls" (the women who worked at El Tovar upon it's opening).  And 2) Up until a few years ago ringtails (pictured below) lived in the rafters of the restaurant.

I understand that one of the highlights of the meal is the spectacular view of the canyon, however my fiance and I went after dark.  Still, our dinner was excellent.  At the suggestion of the servers with whom I had spoken, we ordered mozzarella roulades of prosciutto and pesto.  This was my favorite part of the meal; they were so delicious with the peppers.  Excellent suggestion! 

Every person I spoke with before going suggested I try the mignon, so I ordered this for my entree.  It was just as tasty as everyone had described.


My fiance had the wiener schnitzel (sorry for the fuzzy image) which he enjoyed.


I'm glad they have solved the ringtail situation, but I did find myself looking up to the rafters during my meal, hoping to catch a glimpse of a striped tail. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment